HomeProjectsCar ProjectsNew 351

Classics and Performance Logo
The New 351 Purchase Title Image

1966 Ford Mustang

The New 351

Table of Contents

Introduction

U.S. Military Name Tapes Link

The New 351 is a 1966 Ford Mustang with a 289 V8 and a 3-speed manual transmission — and it's a replacement for my first car, the Original 351.

When I sold my first car, I did it with the intent of getting a '66 Mustang with a better body and a manual transmission. It's not a choice I would make if I were to do it all over, but after a long, convoluted path, which involved two other '66 Mustangs, I eventually ended up with this car, and I'm determined to see it through.

When I bought this car, I knew it needed help to get on the road, but I eventually discovered it would need a lot more than basic repair work to have it in good working order — it was going to require a complete restoration. The avenue that restoration will take is a bit up in the air right now, however, it will involve a manual transmission and a 351W to replace the 289.

The options at this point are rather plentiful, but it will end up with a 2-barrel carb and either a Toploader 4-speed or a T-5 5-speed depending on the engine under the carburetor — which could be a '69-'74 Windsor or a '97 hydraulic roller cam Windsor.

So many choices.

It will eventually be modified beyond the 2-barrel configuration, but gradually, and how far the modifications go will depend a great deal upon what I decide I want to do with it when I get there.

Projects

Original 351 Windsor Title Image

Two-Barrel Terror

The two-barrel carburetor has never been a performance option — and for good reason — until you realize what a 351W in a '66 Mustang does.

Updated: 9/8/19

Notes

The New 351 on the Dyno Rollers Title Image

On a Slow Roll

PSST!

Posted: 9/15/19

Sunset Drag Strip Title Image

Heaven on Earth

As I write this, I just got back from the track — and it was heaven.

Posted: 4/28/19

Running Horse Title Image

Beauty and Power

The car hobby is a fascinating culture to study.

Posted: 5/10/16

2015 Ford Mustang Title Image

Back to the Drawing Board

For a long time the Mustang held the flame in the Mustang vs. Camaro war.

Posted: 3/16/16

Laser Beam Title Image

Progress, Innovation, and Automobiles

Today, things change at a fast pace.

Posted: 2/21/16

Happy New Year 2016 Title Image

Happy New Year, 2016 Edition

Happy New Year!

Posted: 1/3/16

GreaseMaster and Rusteco Title Image

GreaseMaster and Rusteco

Environment, people, and substrate safe degreaser/all-purpose cleaner and rust removers.

Posted: 5/06

U.S. Military Name Tapes Link